Wednesday 2 April 2014

A Dress for Princess Seraphina



I had so much fun making this dress, everything about it is just my style: bright, fanciful and colorful!  Thankfully Miss Loofie LOVES this style as well. This is the second Feliz dress that I made for my Farbenmix challenge (the first dress is here)

The overdress is made with nice sturdy denim. This makes a great base for kid’s clothes, as it is easy to wash and is very hard wearing; I wait for the sales and buy in bulk.  I have embellished the over dress with lovely ribbons, pom-poms, rickrack and a beautiful machine embroidery by Urban Threads. The bottom hem is finished with some red lace. 
 


The under-dress is made with a gorgeous Lisette patterned cotton (poplin) from Spotlight, the bottom hem is finished with a rainbow ruffle. The back of the dress is, well a rainbow of ruffles! I finished the bottom of the ruffles with a rolled hem on my overlocker (serger).   I really love the way the black rolled hems on the ruffles turned out; it reminds me of Spanish Flamenco dresses. 

Miss Loofie says that, although she loves both dresses the Princess Seraphina dress is her favourite; perfect for my little dramatic girl! The best thing about Feliz is that it can be paired with a long sleeved T-shirt and leggings during winter (well at least winter in Perth) or just worn on its own during the summer months.

I have had so much fun making these dresses and I can't recommend Sewing Clothes Kids Love by Nancy Langdon and Sabine Pollehn enough; it is a fantastic book and so far Miss Loofie has indeed LOVED everything I have made using the patterns in this book. 

I would like to say thank you for reading along and for all the lovely comments in my previous post; I am still very new at this blogging thing and it really means a lot to me to hear from you all. 





2 comments:

  1. I love both of your dresses, the strawberry is so sweet and this one is so fantastic. Love the rainbow hem and ruffles at back! I also have Sewing the clothes kids love but didn't try the feliz yet. Yours are inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I love the feliz dress it is such a great blank slate to work with, it is also not a difficult dress to sew and it has the "wow you made that?!" factor. I also helps that Miss Loofie loves wearing all the many versions of this dress that I have made.

      Delete